Sunday, June 26, 2011

Illustration Friday: Midsummer Night


It started with a continuous outline of their silhouettes, some heads added Tom Gauld-style, then the wings...and a perfect opportunity for me to draw some patterns, since I've been seeing interesting patterns everywhere recently. A little bit of crosshatching for texture, a lot of blocking in solids and a touch of typography. It was very interesting to see how the natural variations with the line work of the silhouettes created a range of unique characters, including a few matrons, a few innocents, one that may be pregnant, and Titania, who happens to be the tallest of them all.

4 comments:

Reflections said...

Interesting piece... lovely.

Jenn Bower said...

Brilliant. I just love your work. I wish I had the total freedom and abandon to allow my heart to guide my hand. That is how I see your work. My head is still too much in the game.

Penelope said...

This is lovely! I'm with Jenn, the freedom of movement and spirit is wonderful!

The Ivanator said...

very very nice!